Lately, I've been having trouble wanting to go to the gym. Every year, as the weather gets colder and the evenings seem to come earlier and earlier, working out becomes a daunting task. Still, I've stuffed myself with not one, but two Thanksgiving dinners this week and I need a good workout. Some tips that i'll be using to get myself out of the house and over to the gym:
1. Change of Mindset: Almost everything starts in our heads. Changing the way we feel about the gym and working out will help us with feeling more motivated. My father, who works out several days a week, advises me to think of working out as fun- switch up the workouts, find things I like to do, and bask in the endorphins that come with breaking a sweat.
2. Don't over do it. Some days I'll be so motivated that I'll put on my headphones and workout extra hard. The aches and pains in my joints the next day slows down any more progress that I could make. Instead, stretch before/after working out, build up endurance, and reap the benefits of not overdoing it.
3. Exercise when you have the energy. Sometimes working out after completing the work day isn't the best idea. Assess your energy levels- some people have more energy in the mornings, some during their lunch breaks, and others get a burst of energy in the evening. I've missed a lot of work outs putting them off until after work when I'm out of energy and just want to curl up and read a book or watch Netflix.
4. Get motivated. Motivational videos and motivational tracks can be very uplifting. I've been using Spotify to listen to motivational speeches. It's not for everyone, but for some people, it could be helpful.
5. Accountability. Finding another person with similar work-out goals can help with getting yourself moving. There have been a few times when I've been motivated to go to the gym, go running, or take a walk because someone else motivated me. Likewise, I've been that person for other people.
With busy, stressful lives, working out isn't always at the top of our list, but using these tips, the trip to the gym might be less of a chore and more fun.